Friday, April 23, 2010

My very favourite hotel - by Donna




When I travel I enjoy staying in boutique hotels and my very favourite hotel,  the Hotel Le Germain in Toronto is just a fabulous place to stay!   I will be the first one to admit that I am very picky when it comes to hotels.   The way I look at it is why leave the comfort of your home to stay in a hotel unless you know you are going to a place where you will be completely comfortable and happy.   From the first time I stayed at this hotel I knew it was special and since then I have had the pleasure of staying there several times.   My husband and I stayed at the Germain for the week leading up to our daughter's wedding and I can't think of anywhere else where we would have been as comfortable as we were there.

Because I have so many lovely photographs of the Hotel Le Germain,   I decided to devote an entire blog entry to it.   And I will post a separate entry which will list my favourite hotels in other cities.

There are numerous reasons why I adore the Hotel Le Germain in Toronto so much.   When you first enter the hotel you notice the breathtaking floor to ceiling windows,  which give the space the most wonderful atmosphere.   Then your attention is drawn to the ultra chic lobby/library.   This area is gorgeous with a cozy fireplace,  and several seating areas where you are more than welcome to sit and relax.   There is also an enormous and elegant staircase leading to the breakfast room.    One of the walls in this same space has a modern looking bookcase that holds several coffee table books for guests to enjoy,  as well as a expresso machine that guests are also welcome to.   There is a bar and a lovely restaurant 'Victor' on the main floor that have a sophisticated and chic vibe.    It's nice to have the option if you don't want to venture out too far for dinner,   plus the food is very good.    After your dinner you can take your cocktail to the library area,  if you wish to sit by the fireplace.   The hotel room service (which comes from the same restaurant) is not what you typically expect,  it is far more superior to other hotels.   There is also a breakfast room on the second floor which is bright,  cheery and a relaxing way to start your day.    It's a nice touch that breakfast is complimentary and there are many choices such as eggs,  french toast,  yogurt,  all kinds of cereals,  several types of cheese,  bagels,  pastries,  coffee,  fresh juice etc. etc.

The guest rooms are beautiful and so comfortable with luxury beds and high end linens.   Every room has at least one sitting area,  the most magnificent shower,  and the powder rooms have a handy vanity. There is a desk and chair with an overhead reading lamp and free internet service,  and generous storage spaces which means you don't have your luggage all over the place.   The Aveda bath products in the powder room are replenished daily,  and there are always at least two if not more bottles of water in your room.    I also like that there are green apples always available in several areas throughout the hotel.    One of the most important issues for me when I stay in a hotel is it has to be super clean.    I can honestly say this hotel is spotlessly clean!    Another factor that has a huge influence on the success of any hotel is the staff.   The staff at the Germain hotel is very professional,  helpful and friendly and will do anything for their guests.   I have stayed at probably between twenty and twenty five hotels in Toronto,  and compared to other hotels the entire staff at the Germain is so impressive,  they are amazing and in a league of their own.

If you are looking for a destination for your honeymoon or a romantic getaway I would highly recommend the Hotel Le Germain.   There are several packages to choose from and a variety of suites that range from a one bedroom to a more spacious suite with a large sitting area,  to an apartment type suite with a livingroom,  separate bedroom,  fireplace,  lovely romantic dining area,  two powder rooms - one which has a ginormous soaking bathtub.  

As far as the rates for the hotel,  as mentioned above there are several packages to choose from depending on what you are looking for.   And although it is not the least expensive hotel in Toronto it is not the most expensive either.    With all the little extras and the excellent quality of this hotel,  their rates are more than reasonable.   I could go on and on about this hotel,  it really is superb and I can certainly understand why it has won many awards!   If you wish further information on this hotel this link will bring you directly to the hotel's website. 

http://www.germaintoronto.com/en/index.asp


The photo directly above (3rd photo) is the library area.   I took the first photo at the beginning of this page from outside the hotel looking into the lobby/library area.  The second photo is also part of the library area.



















All the photographs taken at the Hotel Le Germain, Toronto.  by Donna Porter

No comments:

Post a Comment