Saturday, January 23, 2010

Halter Wedding Dresses -by Shari

A halter dress is a good choice for women of all body shapes and sizes; the upwards line of the straps lengthen torsos, and the angle of the straps slim shoulders. However, there are right and wrong ways to wear a halter wedding dress.


This dress on the left is from Alfred Angelo. I like that the model is wearing her hair neatly up, which, along with the deep V created by the halter, creates a statuesque appearance. However, the bodice of this dress reminds me of my grade 11 crochet bathing suit. My bathing suit was lavender, but still. I also do not enjoy the contrast between the re-embroidered lace bodice and the silk skirt; this contrast in cooperation with the A-line is what gives the dress the "body suit" look.




This dress from David's Bridal doesn't have any of the above problems. Made of faille (a new word for my vocabulary!), the a-line of this dress is not nearly as pronounced as the one above because there is no line where the bodice stops and the skirt begins. I also enjoy the sweetheart neckline which accompanies the halter top. However, do not be deceived: even though David's Bridal got this one right, a quick peak at the website shows that they are also guilty of designing dresses that appear to have a tearaway skirt for a quick swim in between ceremony and reception.

Also, if I were the stylist for this photoshoot, I would not have parted the model's hair so severely off to the side; this takes away completely from the illusion of height that the design of the dress creates.


On the topic of David's Bridal, I have always been a huge fan of their designs, and their prices! Compare these two pieces:






The first dress is from the Vineyard collection at Priscilla of Boston, in the price category of less than $2000. The second is from David's Bridal, priced at $499. Regardless of the price difference, I prefer the David's Bridal dress, for real life anyway. I know I've already said this a few times on this blog, and I'm sure I'll say it again, but a bride should never look like she's dressing up as a bride. The Vineyard dress is great for the runway, but that's all.




As a frequent "Say Yes to the Dress" watcher, I've noticed a trend that goes along with halter top dresses: see-through bodices.
This ADK Canada dress is embarrassing. It's ice capades meets Phantom of the Opera, and not in a good way. There is a proper way to do see-through fabric!










Nicole, a "real bride" as they'd say on theknot.com, is wearing a Private Label by G dress from the Ginza collection, which saves the sheerness for the back of the dress! Gorgeous!

I am also a fan of the way Nicole decided to wear her hair! While I did say earlier that parting your hair is a no-no, Nicole's hair has a much softer look to it than the model in the earlier example. Also, as a veil would have looked busy and confusing against the sheer back of the dress, she chose to wear a small yet interesting hair comb which kept the gaze sweeping in an upwards direction. Well done Nicole!
(Also, though I don't plan on focussing on menswear for awhile, I really like Cort's white on white look!)

If you are interested in halter tops or halter dresses, for wedding or other occasion, and would like tips on putting the outfit together, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment