Sunday, January 24, 2010

Sashes and Bows on Wedding Dresses -by Shari





Obviously, I love sashes and bows.  My own wedding dress had a brown bow tied at the empire waist.  While I didn't put a lot of thought into it at the time of purchasing the dress, I later realized that my body was more suited to a small bow rather than a large one, since I am so short and small-framed.  A large one would have shortened my torso and possibly made me look wider.



Here are some dos and don'ts of wedding day sashes.  Let's start with the bad news.






There is little I like about this Alfred Angelo dress. The colour of the sash reminds me of my old teatree shampoo (that's never a good thing). Maybe this would work better if: 1. the sash was wider; 2. the sash was plain and not detailed; 3. it was higher up. The detail of the sash, the slimness of it, and the placement all draw the eye to the widest part of this model's body and make her waist look much wider than it actually it.








Here is my least favourite example. I don't know what this Maggie Sottero designer was thinking. From the time we hit puberty, underwear becomes about lifting your boobs and making them look under control and symmetrical. Why on earth, on your wedding day, would you choose to make your boobs look lopsided?

If a sash that meets in a bow at the bustline, please please please put the bow in the center and under the boob.







Help!! Somebody TP'd this bride on her wedding day!

 

 











With this Watters dress (the above dress was Watters as well), I enjoy the sash itself, and the dress in general, but the dramatic effect the bow creates paired with the dramatic effect of the deep V of the bodice is just too over the top.  I am also not a fan of the hair or hair piece; it's a lot of interest on the bride's left side of her body.








I love the colour of this sash (I chose it myself from the David's Bridal website because purple is my favourite), but that's all I like.  I'm not a fan of the cupcake skirt to begin with, but paired with a long flowing sash?  It really does look like the icing on the cake.  Also, wearing a veil with a sash this long would be tricky; there are too many horizontal lines here, sending the eye left to right instead of up and down.











This is another David's Bridal dress tha makes me cringe.  This is completely the wrong dress for this girl's body.  The halter top is so ill-fitted that it flattens her and doesn't create curves.  The sash cuts off her torso, again at the widest part, and makes her upper body look like a rectangle.  There is nothing on top to balance the extra fabric of the bottom.  Very poorly done.










This Sincerity Bridal gown would be alright if it weren't for the sash and the choker (!).  If there is going to be a defined bodice separate from the skirt (with different fabric), then the sash has to sit at that line, or it should be removed completely.  Having it so much above the top of the skirt just doesn't work for me.









And now with the good news!  This Eden Bridals dress uses a sash quite nicely.  The entire dress is satin with a lace overlay, so without the definition of a line between the bodice and skirt, this sash is free to sit at the natural waist without competition.  Too bad this model's wearing my mom's 1985 potpouri flowers in her hair.








This is another David's Bridal gown, but this one I really like.  I love lace gowns, but sometimes the combination of a satin sash and lace gown do not work; not so here.  The white sash here is the perfect size and gives the whole look a bit of a modern twist.  Also, because this bride is petite, the size of the sash adds emphasis to her curves.  On an already curvier bride, I would make the sash wider.







I just discovered this designer a few minutes ago: Justin Alexander. I think this might be one of my all-time favourite wedding gowns. There's nothing I don't like about this dress. I love the a-line of the skirt but also love that it doesn't go right to the ground, allowing for a full day and evening of easy mobility. The sash is not the main focus of this dress, but rather artfully breaks up the detail of the bodice and skirt top. The model wears her hair the same for all dresses of this collection, but from this angle it works really well. Wearing hair down with a dress like this would be a definite mistake. From the other side the hair might have a bit too much going on and may compete with the dress, although the look is definitely glamourous and dramatic. What do you think?





1 comment:

  1. Great pointers, Shari! If I wasn't married, I would definitely hire you.

    ReplyDelete